Miguel Cotto, Junior middleweight titlist has been one of the notable future opponents for Manny Pacquiao in the very likely event that an agreement between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. is not made. Las Vegas odds
But, Cotto denied a released record Saturday he had agreed to a deal to fight Pacquiao in a rematch.
“Do not pay attention to rumours,” Cotto announced in a press release. “I have not brought about any call yet nor reached any agreement regarding my following fight. At the appropriate moment, I’ll at once be announcing my next fight. I’m discussing and analyzing alternatives with my team.”
Attorney Gabriel Peñagarícano, Cotto’s longtime counselor, said “It is totally false. There is no initial offer, no common deal and no last agreement for Miguel’s next fight. I don’t know from where that came from. I have no clue.”
Peñagarícano said he has chatted with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum in relation to the chance of a Pacquiao-Cotto rematch but they haven’t gotten into any heavy detail, a lot less really appear to an agreement. Vegas odds
“Other than knowing directly from (Top Ranynk’s) Todd (duBoef) and Bob that if an agreement between Pacquiao and Mayweather isn’t made that they might like to sit down, we have not talked about it,” Peñagarícano said. “Additional than generalities we haven’t debated the particulars of a fight.
We understand that if the big fight (Pacquiao-Mayweather) does not occur that Top Rank will definitely credit as probably the best option Miguel as Pacquiao’s next fight.”
In the event Pacquiao-Mayweather bout isn’t made, Arum is contemplating Pacquiao’s next fight for June 9 in Las Vegas.
“If that is what is going to occur date-wise there isn’t any trouble for us if we are making a deal,” Peñagarícano declared.
All along, the 4 applicants Arum had named as available Pacquiao opponents – besides Mayweather – were Cotto, Juan Manuel Marquez (for a 4th fight) or matches with junior welterweight titleholders Timothy Bradley Jr. or Lamont Peterson.
Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs) lost his welterweight title to Pacquiao through 12th-round knockout in an all-action fight in November 2009. Since then, Cotto has won three fights in a row. He moved up in weight and stopped Yuri Foreman in the ninth round to win a 154-pound belt in June 2010.
Cotto has contended the title twice, a 12th-round knockout of former titlist Ricardo Mayorga in March and December’s 10th-round knockout of Antonio Margarito to exact revenge in their rancor-filled animus match
Cotto’s promotional deal with Top Rank expired after the Margarito fight but Peñagarícano said Cotto would still work with the company under the right terms.
“There is no contractual relationship any longer with Top Rank, but we have an excellent relationship with them,” he said. “But all doors are open for Miguel. If the huge fight does not occur, Pacquiao-Mayweather, it is plain Mayweather would wish to find a competitor, too, and Miguel Cotto could be on that list. So that door is definitely open, too.”
Afterwards Pacquiao and Mayweather, Puerto Rico’s Cotto, a 3-division titleholder, is the 3rd largest pay-per-view attraction in boxing, which would make him a fascinating adversary for Pacquiao or Mayweather if they don’t fight one another.
“Floyd’s agents have to consider that if the big fight doesn’t occur they must take into account the alternatives, and Miguel would be an option,” Peñagarícano expounded. “But now, all is generalities. But we know circumstances will be moving quickly.”
Top Rank and Pacquiao are anticipated to name a competitor in the following week or so. Mayweather is thinking to fight in Vegas on May 5, a date Pacquiao and Top Rank have declined to amuse.