The Packers needed a running back and Cedric Benson was in need of a team that wanted him, so that the 2 got together when the Green Bay signed Benson to an agreement, the team announced Sunday.
The length of the deal was not announced, but news reported that it is a 1 year deal.
Benson, 29-year-old, rushed for at least 1,000 yards every one of the past 3 seasons for Cincinnati, but the Bengals showed no real interest in re-signing him.
The question is whether or not he has anything left after 7 NFL seasons and averaging 298.3 carries over those last 3 seasons.
But James Starks, who’s listed as the Packers’ starting RB, has not performed as well as was hoping.
Starks suffered a turf toe injury on Thursday and might be out for one week.
In addition, Brandon Saine (hamstring) hasn’t practiced, Green is coming off knee surgery, and Ryan Grant wasn’t re-signed.
Despite going 15-1 in the regular season last year, the Green Bay Packers ranked 27th in rushing offense.
- Miami Dolphins WR Chad Johnson was released from jail on Sunday afternoon after being arrested on Saturday for reportedly head-butting his better half and causing a cut, news reported. Baseball spreads
Johnson did not comment to a group of reporters waiting outside of the facility when he left.
He hasn’t been charged with a crime yet, although his other half told police she wanted to file charges.
Johnson’s bond had been set at $2,500 and he’d been told by the court to keep away from Lozado.
- Miami Dolphins QB David Garrard replied to an internet report that he hurt his knee while playing with his son at home.
Garrard, who has asserted he is going to be out 2 to 4 weeks, does not know exactly how the knee was injured. He had surgery on Saturday.
Garrard said that he did not harm the knee playing with his child, as was reported.
Garrard was the Miami Dolphins’ projected starter before the injury.
- It did not take long for Colts newbie QB Andrew Luck to throw his 1st touchdown pass.
The No. 1 overall draft pick hit RB Donald Brown for a 63-yard TD on his 1st pass attempt of the preseason.
Luck took 24 snaps in his debut, completing Ten of 16 passes for 188 yards with 2 touchdowns in the Colts 38-3 rout over the visiting St. Louis Rams on Sunday.
- Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson was taken off the physically-unable-to-perform list, the news reported Sunday.
The move was made before Sunday’s afternoon practice session. Peterson is lined up to speak with reporters after. Peterson had knee surgery in January and has been rehabbing.
Peterson can take part in individual work through Monday, but cannot practice in pads till after that, per the collective bargaining agreement.
- The Jets waived punter Travis Baltz, the team announced Sunday.
Baltz played collegiately at Maryland before signing as an undrafted free agent with the Indianapolis Colts in 2011. He signed with the Jets in January after getting cut by the Colts.