SAUL ALVAREZ SAYS THE VETERANCY OF MOSLEY MAKES HIM MORE DANGEROUS
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:27 AM EST
Shane Mosley, the previous pound-for-pound king, 3-division champion and likely Hall of Famer, knows he’s not looked great in up to date fights. In reality the 40-year-old Mosley is 2-3-1 in his last 6 bouts and 0-2-1 in his last 3 since his major upset of Antonio Margarito in 2009. Baseball scores
But Mosley, however with one of the most distinguishable names in boxing, is getting what figures to be his last title show after he and junior middleweight titleholder Saul “Canelo” Alvarez came to arrangement.
They will meet on May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in the co-featured fight on the pay-per-view card titled by Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KOs) moving up to junior middleweight to fight Miguel Cotto (37-2, Thirty KOs) for his version of the 154-pound title.
“This is more of a fight to demonstrate myself. I know I didn’t look good in my last few fights and I actually need to make an affirmation in this fight,” Mosley related. “I simply wish to get in the ring, fight a world champion and win a new belt.
“I’m terribly excited and happy. It’s a second chance for me to present that I still belong. He’s a young person and it’s a troublesome fight, but I’m excited to get the fight. Lots of fellows wish to be in the place I am in to have this kind of fight.”
Claimed Alvarez, “This is the fight I was looking for. Shane Mosley is an amazing fighter with plenty of knowledge and large victories in his storied career. Even though I have gigantic respect and admiration for Mosley, because he could be a great person outside of the ring, my aim is to defeat him with a great presentation.”
Alvarez (39-0-1, 29 KOs), just 21 year old, is one of boxing’ biggest stars. His addition to the Mayweather-Cotto undercard on Cinco de Mayo, a traditional weekend for a major fight featuring a Mexican star, is a huge boost to show that already figured to be the year’ major till now. Basketball scores
“It’s Cinco de Mayo, so when you add Mexico’s greatest star to a card that already has Mayweather, the pound-for-pound king, and Cotto, Puerto Rico’s biggest star, and ‘Canelo’ is fighting Mosley, who is a legend, that could be a huge night,” announced Golden Boy Promotions Managing Director Richard Schaefer, who had been working for weeks on the fight.
Because of the income Alvarez generates on his very own, it was a difficult to have him accept a spot on an undercard, Schaefer expounded.
“It was not an easy fight to get together because it is really a principal event on its own and could have sold out a location by itself or perhaps been its own pay-per-view,” he said. “But this takes a mega event with Mayweather and Cotto, which is a massive fight and didn’t need any help at all, and takes it to a totally different level. With these 2 fights on the card, it’s one of the largest events we’ve ever promoted. It’ll be a celebrating of the sport of boxing, a brilliant moment for the game. To have Mayweather, Cotto, Canelo and ‘Sugar’ Shane Mosley all on the same card, I get the chills considering it.”
The activities offered by advertising links to other sites, may be deemed an illegal activity in certain jurisdictions and are void when prohibited. The viewer is specifically warned that they should make their own inquiry into the legality of participating in any of these games and/or activities. The owner of the web sites assumes no responsibility for the actions by and makes no representation or endorsement of any of these games and/or activities if they are illegal in the jurisdiction of the reader or client of this site.