USC Trojans junior quarterback Matt Barkley has submitted paperwork to the NFL draft consulting board seeking their input on where he could be selected in next April’s draft. Vegas odds
It’s standard process for a draft-eligible junior. More than 150 players from across the nation typically request evaluations annually. It’s also got been Barkley’s plan for a while ; he said earlier this month he would submit the forms right after the season finished. I think it is something that each top induct, or potential draftee does before considering going out.
“Don’t think too swiftly. It’s simply a type of analysis, I do not believe it’s even that detailed. Just listing a potential round that you’d go in,” Barkley said on SportsCenter Wednesday night. Betting lines
Along with Barkley, there are three other USC kids contemplating entering the draft early : left tackle Matt Kalil, defensive end Nick Perry and safety T.J. McDonald. All three players have requested or plan to ask the analysis by the Dec.
All draft-eligible players have until Jan. Seventeen deadline. Fifteen to declare for the draft and until Jan. 18 to withdraw. The news of the official filing was first reported by the L. A. Times.
The analyses finally come back to the players — well before the stipulation cut off point — with a full length report on their projected draft status. And they all receive round grades, or where those polled in the NFL foretell the given player going in the draft.
Barkley has confessed he would be more tempted to leave if he were projected as a high first-round selection.
“I think finishing out on a good note here at USC was something I wanted to do, and now that we’ve done that, there’s a chance for my future to be financially safe, to move on. There’s a couple reasons nonetheless it nearly seems like the reasons to stay might outweigh those [to leave] with all of the men coming back.
Earlier this month, Barkley said his pa, Les, would handle much of the behind-the-scenes work on his call of whether to declare for the draft, including meeting with potential agents and looking into methods to defend the long term investment if he does return. Both sides, I look at it and it nearly seems to good to be true,” Barkley expounded.
“As of now, I am still 50-50. I haven’t even begun that process of taking a look at either side. I haven’t decided. I’m still enjoying this season, enjoying last week’s win against UCLA. I continue to have some college left and some finals. Starting the week after next, I will actually dive into that. So once those get out of the way and I will target the decision, that is where my attention will be,” Barkley recounted.
The NCAA offers insurance for wounds that occur to players who return for their senior seasons. Stanford QB Andrew Luck reportedly secured a $5 million prior to the start of the 2011 season. Another choice is to take out a Lloyd’s of London insurance policy, which Barkley related was a real possibility.